Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fun at the Zoo! (How I spent my Sunday)

Next week we will be talking about zookeepers in reading. For all you Reading Street teachers out there, our weekly story is A Fox and a Kit. To me, this story can be a bit bland, so to spice it up a little I created some zoo friends.


My plans also include having the kids make their own zoo animals. The story talks about a mother fox and her baby, so I was thinking about incorporating baby animals into the art project. I was also so inspired by First Grader at Last blogger Sarah Cooley and her adorable poster of 'Pete the Paleontologist'. I created 'Zack the Zookeeper'.

The animals are just clip art that I printed from the Internet. I will take them off Zack once the kids have made their zoo animals. I just put them on to give the kids some ideas of the types of animals they would find in a zoo and to give them an idea of what the animals looked like.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE Zack the Zookeeper!!! Might just have to make him when when study zoo animals!!! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack the Zookeeper is TOO CUTE!! I bet the kids love him :) Way to really spice up the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did love him! It helped some of them understand the concept of character a little better too. Our next unit in reading deals with community workers so I'm thinking about creating some 'helpers'! :)

    ReplyDelete